Re: dbootstrap now working, busybox needs serial con change.

Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Erik Andersen <andersen@xmission.com> writes:

> >> I like this solution especially for nfsroot because the filesystem
> >> could then be mounted read-only instead of rw with root access.  It
> >> will be more secure.  We could then write all temporary data to
> >> /var/tmp for instance.
> >>
> >> I don't think it is needed for initrd because the ramdisk is
> >> already writable.  Just keep enough space to store the log (256k
> >> could be too much, maybe 100k ?).
>
> > Ok, we have one for and one against (if I am considered neutral).
> > If we can get a consensus, I will implement whatever folks decide
> > on.
>
> > I'm about to blow away my neutrality, but I like the usyslogd
> > plus ram disk approach.  We just mount the ram disk on /tmp, and
> > make /var/{log,run,lib,whatever} symlinks to /tmp.  Then we just
> > decide on some arbitrary upper bound for tmp data (100k, 256k,
> > whatever) and that will be the size of the ramdisk.
>
> Ok -- I approve.  Go for it.  My only objection is (a) it consumes ram
> -- keeping it down to 100k will help, (b) I was worrying that it was
> complex and thus could fail.  Maybe that concern is unfounded.
>
> This is in case of serial console only?  Or...?

It have to be working on both serial console and framebuffer setup if we want
to mount root fs read-only (root on nfs for our miniroot fs).  dbootstrap just
needs a small /tmp fs to store temporary informations like kbd and network
configurations until /target is available, therefore first limit the ramdisk to
100k.
Another way to do this could be using some kind of tmpfs (/tmp in RAM/swap but
with no other limit than the total amount of free memory), though I don't know
if it is available for Linux.  Any advice?