Re: dbootstrap now working, busybox needs serial con change.

Erik Andersen <andersen@xmission.com> writes:

> On Fri Nov 12, 1999 at 04:21:47PM +0100, Eric Delaunay wrote:
> > Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > > Yuck yuck yuck.  Isn't there a better (simpler) way?

>> I like this solution especially for nfsroot because the filesystem
>> could then be mounted read-only instead of rw with root access.  It
>> will be more secure.  We could then write all temporary data to
>> /var/tmp for instance.
>>
>> I don't think it is needed for initrd because the ramdisk is
>> already writable.  Just keep enough space to store the log (256k
>> could be too much, maybe 100k ?).

> Ok, we have one for and one against (if I am considered neutral).
> If we can get a consensus, I will implement whatever folks decide
> on.

> I'm about to blow away my neutrality, but I like the usyslogd
> plus ram disk approach.  We just mount the ram disk on /tmp, and
> make /var/{log,run,lib,whatever} symlinks to /tmp.  Then we just
> decide on some arbitrary upper bound for tmp data (100k, 256k,
> whatever) and that will be the size of the ramdisk.

Ok -- I approve.  Go for it.  My only objection is (a) it consumes ram
-- keeping it down to 100k will help, (b) I was worrying that it was
complex and thus could fail.  Maybe that concern is unfounded.

This is in case of serial console only?  Or...?