Re: DAC 960 + /dev/rd/* support

On 15 Nov 1999, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> Martin Anderberg <hundra@df.lth.se> writes:
>
> > I have a couple of machines that i want to install Debian on. The problem
> > is that the latest boot-floppies (rescue.bin and root.bin) doesn't support
> > my Mylex 960 RAID card. I've make a custom kernel and inserted into the
> > rescue.bin floppy, so it detects the card and so on. The problem is that
> > the /dev/rd/c0d0* devices aren't created - so the installation program
> > doesnt recognize the drives (my own theory) Is there any way i can
> > create a root.bin disk that will contain these devices or some other way
> > i can get it to 'see' the harddrives? I've installed the
> > boot-floppies package, but havn't been able to figure out how to make the
> > actual floppies using the package.
>
> This problem has already been reported.

Wops :(

> You can create the devices manually on another tty after dbootstrap
> has booted.  That's the best workaround we can offer right now.

I tried that, didn't help, the installer still wouldn't see my disks. I
did solve it though, but the solution wasn't very pretty - i just
installed the base-system on a ide disk, partitioned the raiddisk and
moved everything over.

However, one thing (i dont know if this issue has been adressed before) is
that the kernel (2.2.12-2.2.13) seems to refuse to let one
mke2fs/mount/whatever devices over /dev/rd/c*d*p7. One can create devices
over 7 though using fdisk/cfdisk, but one cannot use them. Maybe this is
worth mentioning in some sort of documentation? Or maybe i'm completely
wrong and misunderstood something.

/Martin

> --
> .....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onShore.com.....<URL:http://www.onShore.com/>

---------

Martin Anderberg - email: hundra@df.lth.se
If you wish to get a reciept that confirms the arrival of a message,
please include the word RECIEPT or KVITTO in the subject.

"Quarrels would never last long if the fault was only on one side."