boot disk with telnetd ?

Hi,

I hope this is the right list to ask all this...
A (very) remote machine of mine has recently stopped working.
Actually, I think there might be a problem with the kernel
or modules which I have just updated. I cannot access the machine
physically, the best I can do is send a floppy and ask someone
over there to boot the machine with it.

So, I would like to make a boot disk that will allow me to
telnet into my machine. So I imagine it would be possible to modify the
root disk to contain a telnetd... Otherwise, I know that I have a working
telnetd on my remote box, so would it be possible to just use
the kernel and modules from the floppy, and the rest from the
hard drive?

I have installed the boot-floppies package, but I am having some
trouble figuring out how this all works... any pointers? docs?

Thanks, and sorry if some of my questions are stupid, I'm
still kindof a newbie...

Stefan.