Re: boot disk with telnetd ?

Stefan Langerman <lfalse@cereal.rutgers.edu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I hope this is the right list to ask all this...
> A (very) remote machine of mine has recently stopped working.
> Actually, I think there might be a problem with the kernel
> or modules which I have just updated. I cannot access the machine
> physically, the best I can do is send a floppy and ask someone
> over there to boot the machine with it.
>
> So, I would like to make a boot disk that will allow me to
> telnet into my machine. So I imagine it would be possible to modify the
> root disk to contain a telnetd... Otherwise, I know that I have a working
> telnetd on my remote box, so would it be possible to just use
> the kernel and modules from the floppy, and the rest from the
> hard drive?

Look for one of the all-on-one Linux distributions out there.
I bet some of them will include a telnetd.

If you have enough time, you could read the Bootdisk-HOWTO.

Why don`t you send a working kernel which boots the correct root
device? You could remove the modules support and compile in all needed
drivers. (But I don't know what happens, when insmod fails --- i.e. if
init falls back to single user mode).

HTH,

Jens

---
Jens.Ritter@weh.rwth-aachen.de   grimaldi@debian.org
Key ID: 2048/E451C639 Jens Ritter
Key fingerprint: 5F 3D 43 1E 24 1E CC 48  1E 05 93 3A A7 10 73 37