Re: bootp, dhcp, etc

> Also, in response to whoever said that dhclient is always superior to
> dhcpcd, think again. DHCP leases expire every now and again. For that
reason
> you need a daemon running to keep your network up. dhcpcd rises to the
> occasion; dhclient doesn't.
>
>  -Aaron

It was i who said dhclient is the best, i dont want to get into a pissing
contest but dhclient is clearly the best dhcp client in everything except
size. I dont think its suitable for boot floppy because of size, but should
be the default dhcp client anywhere else (IMHO). I would have replied sooner
but this email sipped through me.

Regarding leases, in your etc/dhclient.conf you can request a lease time
period that you specify from the dhcp server.

dhclient remains running in the background, and will renew the lease at 3
defferent levels of timing for renewing a lease, renew, rebind and expire.

renew time is the amount of tiime dhclient (running as a background process)
will wait before recontacting the dhcp server that assigned it the ip and
renewing that lease.

rebind time is the time that dhclient will wait (if renew failed) before
trying to contact ANY dhcp server for to renew its lease

expire time is the time that the client will stop using its current lease
cause it cant contact a server.

With dhclient you can do other cool stuff, like request extra info from the
dhcp server and even reject ip's that that the dhcp server assignes you.

You really should take a look at dhclient in more detail, im sure it would
impress you.

I was on ISC's dhclient mailing list for a fair Ted Lemon from ISC is a
really cool and helpful guy if you want info.

It is the ultimate dhcp client