Re: Proposal: dump dselect for console-apt

On Fri, Oct 15, 1999 at 06:36:39PM -0700, Craig H. Block wrote:

> > * Non developer Debian users *hate* dselect with a passion and avoid Debian
> >   because of it.
> >
> Hey, I resemble that remark!  I might be one of the strange ones
> (well...am one of the) who actually likes dselect mainly because of its
> ability to handle packages on an individual basis.  That capability is
> one of the reasons I stay with debian.  I admit dselect is a major pain
> even for some of the less faint of heart.  I don't mind if you pull it
> from the installation routine, thats fine.  I never run it from there
> anyway.  But please don't remove it from the base install unless of
> course console-apt can do the same thing only better.

Oh, of course.  I'm recommending that dselect stay in the base since many
people are comfortable with it (personally I only use apt-get from the
CLI and just started using capt about a month ago).

My recommendation only applies to what is launched after the task
management GUI.  In non-expert mode, I don't think anything should be
launched since it just complicates matters.  The new user will just select
"Home Computer" and when it is finished it will kick them out to the login
prompt.  The advanced user will select an option that will kick them out
to console-apt so they can search around and add a few more individual
packages to their liking.

> The following excerpt from an installation script demonstrates how
> useful it really is, at least for me;
>
>    dpkg --clear-avail
>    apt-get update
>    dselect update
>    dpkg --set-selections < ./selections-base
>    dselect remove
>    apt-get upgrade
>    dselect install
>    dpkg --set-selections < ./selections-addons
>    dselect install

These capablities should be moved to apt since it is the next gen.  I'd
imagine by the next (post potato) release dselect should be gone.

--
Matt Porter
mmporter@home.com