Re: installation Profiles and Tasks

"Martin Bialasinski" <martin@internet-treff.uni-koeln.de> writes:

> James> Either way, the user must use dselect to get the dependent
> James> packages.  The whole point of the tasks and profiles was to let
> James> someone install Debian without running that part of dselect.
>
> This can be avoided, if the sources.list file can be created
> Then apt-get -f install <selected profiles> would install the
> "Priority required" and "standard" packages, as well as the profiles,
> and apt will resolve any dependancy.

Yup -- this is much more satisfactory in my book.  At the last
release, Stephane had a hard time keeping all the dependancies in sync
on all platforms.  Your system, Martin, which I bless, should make
that easier.

I disagree with James that we need to have a separate profile plus the
metapackages -- that's worse than either alternative alone.

I disagree with you, Martin, that we need to hack dselect.  My plan
all hinges that we are using apt as our aquisition method and *only*
apt (well, powerusers can do what they like).

Just like now, we should have a little GUI that lets users pick tasks
and profiles rather like the current one (well, ok, it can be
prettier).  This GUI would determine the lists of tasks and profiles
by looking at all the available packages And that would just
'--set-selection' those metapackages, and then, as you say, 'apt-get
-f install' will download/install all the right stuff and pull in
dependancies.

Voila!  We've solved the "new users don't like dselect" problem by
simply allowing a simpler package selection interface flow, which
eliminates the need to run dselect at all.

BTW, I like your idea of stripping down the tasks/profiles if
possible.  I tihnk a lot of users find the sheer number of packages in
Debian pretty overwhelming...