Re: making slink have pcmcia 3.0.12 for internal use

"Sean 'Shaleh' Perry" <shaleh@varesearch.com> writes:

> well here at va there are lots of sony VAIO's.  So I am doing 7 floppy installs
> left and right.  The problem is that everyone has newer nic cards that slink
> does not work with.  So I need to make a new set of floppies w/ pcmcia 3.0.12.
>
> Please someone point me to directions on how to do this.

Shaleh, you'll have to try to pull the sources from CVS and build with
that, but that's a real crap shoot.

I recently had the same problem.  It's pretty much non-trivial to get
the newer PCMCIA working on the boot-floppies (does it even work with
2.0.x kernels).  What I ended up doing is installing the base system
via floppy, then install potato pcmcia packages, 2.2 kernel, and
potato libc6.  Major PITA.

Do you think it's worth it either (a) trying to solve this for slink,
or (b) trying to get actual semi-functioning potato boot-floppies
together.  I lean towards the latter...