Re: makedev fixes, etc.

>>>>> "Marcelo" == Marcelo E Magallon <mmagallo@efis.ucr.ac.cr> writes:

Marcelo> On Sat, Apr 17, 1999 at 04:05:15PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo
Marcelo> wrote:

>> The only remaining crucial problem is the AIC7xxx bugs.  Doesn't
>> anyone on these lists here have an adaptec device which experiences
>> problems?  Couldn't we try the newer adaptec drivers either from
>> adaptec or from Alan Cox's patches to 2.0.36?

Marcelo> I'm to take a look at this tomorrow Monday and Wednesday,
Marcelo> too.  I'll also ask at the local LUG.  At least one person
Marcelo> has reported problems with a 2940 (kernel boots, loads SCSI
Marcelo> drivers, hangs), and I have seen _LOTS_ of trouble with
Marcelo> on-board 788x's (/me thinks all 788x's are on-board
Marcelo> adapters).  I know RH's latest install floppies work with
Marcelo> these cards.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of.  If RedHat got it right, so should
we.

Marcelo> Pointers, please.  Where do I get patches from?

Well, ftp.redhat.com, standard alan cox kernel distribution locations
(cf www.kernel.org or www.linuxhq.org).

Marcelo> Is really
Marcelo> enough to replace `linux' on the rescue floppy or do I have
Marcelo> to replace something else?

No that should do it.  See
<URL:http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/i386/ch-boot-floppy-techinfo.en.html#s-rescue-replace-kernel>

Marcelo> Any set of boot parameters I
Marcelo> should try (I know override_term solved some of the problems
Marcelo> I had before, and so did stpwlev)?

Theoretically, it shouldn't need boot parameters to boot correctly.