makedev fixes, etc.

Bdale, thanks for your prompt and curteous service.  I agree with your
assement that at this point, missing devices in the boot/root
boot-floppies is probably a problem in the boot-floppies package, not
yours.

Folks, Bdale has addressed all slink-proposed fixes, and his makedev
2.3.1-23, in proposed-updates, is what fixes them.  I've updated
http://www.debian.org/~aph/slink-bugs.html accordingly.

The only remaining crucial problem is the AIC7xxx bugs.  Doesn't
anyone on these lists here have an adaptec device which experiences
problems?  Couldn't we try the newer adaptec drivers either from
adaptec or from Alan Cox's patches to 2.0.36?