Re: booting from a raid0 device.

Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@ull.es> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 15, 1999 at 03:48:43AM +0200, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> >     Enrique> Also I am still not impressed with the idea of having
> >     Enrique> separate boot and root floppies. I still think that with
> >     Enrique> a properly built initrd and a bare bones kernel we may
> >     Enrique> keep using just one rescue floppy and put everything else
> >     Enrique> on several drivers floppies.
> >
> > Sounds reasonable. You still need the SCSI/IDE/ext2 in the kernel, along
> > with some network stuff...
>
> Not really. We may load IDE or SCSI modules from the initrd, or from
> floppy. The approach I'm thinking about is something like the following
> (for i386, I haven't thought about other arches yet)

Since our current policy dictates that we use the same kernel in the
install process, as in the fully installed system, we must have both
IDE and SCSI compiled in. Otherwise we must ALL boot with some form
of initrd mechanism, and I don't know about you, but I'm not sure I
like that...

> "floppy-booted" installations
> 	one rescue disk with:
> 	 - "bare bones" kernel: no IDE, no SCSI, just floppy
> 	 - initrd with IDE

Pardon? 'No IDE/SCSI, but initrd w/ IDE'? Or did you mean ether one of them?

> I see a few cons (it's more complex than what we have now, user can't
> replace kernel and modules without changing the inird image, ...) but it
> looks like a good way to fix our space constraints, and IMO it scales better
> and it's easier to use than the "boot & root floppies" approach.
> Comments?

I didn't like ether one of you ideas, because it will make things more
difficult for people to change kernel... changing initrd image etc, etc...

But I agree, that it scales better than a lot of floppy images tough.

As I said earlier, one HUGE kernel (not good, but it will surely support
most hardware) on the first (and optionally only) floppy, the rest (root,
modules etc) on 'fetch-able media' (CDROM, FTP, TFTP, NFS etc) would be
better... Not good, but better than having to ALWAYS boot up via a initrd
image...

One good thing about you way, though is that in theory, you can just remake
your SCSI card's module, and copy that to the initrd image, and off you go...

Hmmm... I think I'm going to at least try out this way, to see how much (memory/speed)
I would gain from it... Unfortunately I don't have a monitor to my PC (going
through a HP via ssh), so I can't see much of the booting... :)

--
    We are GNU.  You will be GPL'ed.  Resistance is futile.
 / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \  Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@debian.org>

Semtex SEAL Team 6 quiche arrangements kibo Saddam Hussein Mossad
ammunition SDI Delta Force security Marxist Treasury Albanian
munitions