Re: [renfro@tntech.edu] Great job with 2.1, just a few minor questions

>>>>> "Enrique" == Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@ull.es> writes:
Enrique> On Tue, Mar 09, 1999 at 07:25:06PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo
Enrique> wrote:
>>  I can confirm these bugs.  Is there anyone working on them?
>> Should I submit them as bugs against boot-floppies?

Enrique> What has boot-floppies to do with these bugs?

Read on, gentle maintainer.

>> Couple of glitches, though, that might have alrady been addressed:
>>
>> 1) /dev/mouse was not symlinked to /dev/sunmouse when I first tried
>> X.  Does some package that everybody else installs take care of
>> that? As I didn't even touch dselect, and used apt to get whatever
>> other packages were needed, I may very well have left out
>> something.

Enrique> Why should it be symlinked? AFAICT, the proper procedure is
Enrique> defining /dev/sunmouse as the pointer device. /dev/mouse is a
Enrique> nice thing to have, (don't need to remember which device is
Enrique> the mouse connected in which machine) but I remember creating
Enrique> it by hand every time I needed it.  Perhaps xserver-configure
Enrique> should create it? I don't know for sure, but it sounds like a
Enrique> wishlist bug against X.

There is no xserver-configure for the xserver-xsun line AFAIK.  There
is no configuration required on the systems supported by those
servers.

The default X servers for other sparc machines (such as my matrox64)
assume that /dev/mouse is valid.  I don't see why it shouldn't be.
It is valid for x86, right?

>> 2) /etc/rc.boot/0setserial croaked with "Cannot autoconfigure port:
>> Invalid argument" -- extremely minor, as those serial ports are not
>> likely to be used for anything. If this is the same init script as
>> in the i386 version, perhaps there should be a differnt one for
>> Sparc?

Enrique> Again, I know little about serial ports on Sparc, so I can't
Enrique> tell for sure if this is a bug in setserial or not, but I
Enrique> think just commenting out the AUTO_IRQ=auto_irq line will do
Enrique> the trick. Perhaps setserial should detect it's running on a
Enrique> Sparc and not try autoconfig if that's not supported in that
Enrique> architecture. Again, my vote is wishlist (or normal) bug
Enrique> against setserial.

Correct, not a boot-floppies bug.  I say at least a normal bug.  Sparc
is important as x86 (or should be).  I'll make sure the bug is
there....