Re: Test of the 2.1.5 install floppies

Important note:

I've just found out (the hard way) that if you have NT4 installed on your
machine, lilo-20 (the one we have in slink) will simply prevent it from
booting (BSOD with the message "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE"). I've just
uploaded a fixed lilo package targeted to frozen.
Needless to say I think we should use it for the boot floppies, since it
would be pretty bad for Debian's image to break the NT setups. Sorry for
not finding this one earlier, but I just (since yesterday) adopted lilo.

On Sat, 30 Jan 1999, Enrique Zanardi wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 30, 1999 at 09:03:11PM +0100, Vincent Renardias wrote:
> >
> > hello,
> >
> > I've just tried the last install floppies. Here are some comments about
> > it:
>
> (FYI, I've uploaded boot-floppies 2.1.6 to chiark a few hours ago).

Ok, will try them...
NB: from the messages of the CVS updates it seemed that the disks were
i18n'ed but the ones you uploaded seem to be in English only; is it
because it's not the definitive version or did I miss something obvious?

> > - I think we can get rid of the 'azerty/azerty' kbd description, since
> > AFAIK every french keyboard produced in the last 10 years use the
> > fr-latin1 keymapping. (This could help to save some room on the boot
> > floppy).
>
> Just a few hours after I moved from us, be, fr, ... to qwerty/*, ... I
> received a bug report about not being able to read azerty/azerty (there
> was a typo in my code, where I wrote qzerty/azerty) so I guess there are
> people out there that still uses that.

Although I may be wrong, it must be someone who _should_ have selected
fr-latin1 anyway.
I'd have no objection if "fr-latin1" came before "azerty" in the list.
Currently it's not the case, so people just select the first they think
will fit, and 2 days later ask "How do I type characters with accents
marks? those keys don't work on my machine!". So if "azerty" is to stay
around, I'd suggest to move it down (after fr-latin1) in the list; (or to
rename it "azerty/sansaccents"?)

	Cordialement,

--
- Vincent RENARDIAS  vincent@{{ldsol,pipo}.com,{debian,openhardware}.org} -