Re: A few thoughts about 2.1.4

On Tue, 05 Jan 1999 21:54:58 +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer <stephane@sources.org> said:
> On Monday 4 January 1999, at 23 h 49, the keyboard of Adam Di Carlo
> <adam@onshore.com> wrote:

>> > Now that 2.1.4 is installed in slink, I'll close some bugs
>> related > to the keymap, if nobody objects, and I'll try to trim
>> down the list > of bugs by closing incredibly old bugs which cannot
>> be solved now > anyway. No problem?
>>
>> Please go ahead.

> Big cleaning done (and will continue). It is a violation of the
> Debian Maintainer's Reference which says that only developers should
> close bugs but nevertheless...

Well if you have permission from the developer's, it's cool.  Also, in
our case, the developers are the mailing list itself -- well,
probably, meaning anyone who actively works on the package.

> I think that the BTS is a really useful tool and old and stale bugs
> just prevent to use it. They make difficult to assert the real state
> of a package.

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!

You just closed at least 4 bugs which should not have been closed:

  #11054, #14451, #15530, #15800

Why did you close those bugs?  Most of them were reports on hamm
disks; those problems, as far as I can tell, are still operative
problems.  At least *one* of these bugs (11054) I know for a fact is
still a problem (should be merged with #20133 and #31315, if you could
do that after you reopen it).

An example of bugs that can be closed are #19582.

Prematurely closing bugs against a package is insulting to the user
who took the time and care to submit the bug, and harmful to this
group, since it masks existing (old) problems.

Please re-open the bugs.

Spend your time more productively by conversing with the submitter of
the bugs and trying to determine whether the slink floppies fix them,
or how to fix the problems.