Re: ToDo List for the Boot Floppies Package

Hallo you two,

I am sorry for the late reply, but I was AFK during christmas to
new year.

On Sun, 27 Dec 1998, Martin Schulze wrote:

> I don't remember an answer but found this mail in my inbox.
>
> Joseph Carter wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 31, 1998 at 08:43:06PM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > >   . Implement an "install on a loop filesystem" option.  The major
> > >     work should be fulfilled by Jens 'grimaldi' Ritter.
> >
> > Has a good way to mount said loop filesystem been written?  Is there a
> > chance this can be done for the user without knowing what linux would call
> > the device in question?  I didn't come up with a way to do this and my zip
> > project has been on hold pending a way to boot an image when you don't know
> > which filesystem it'll be on, only where it'll be on that filesystem.

The loopback root filesystem howto is utilized in the install on a loop
filesystem. See:

http://www.gedanken.demon.co.uk/linux/looproot.html

What exactly do you want to accomplish?

As I put the work on this on a hold (due to lesser spare time on my side,
the deep freeze and etc.), I am at the moment not very familiar with how
it is done. I know that you have a initramdisk where the autoexec.bat
analogon for linux mounts the root filesystem from a loopbackdevice and
then "remounts" the to be root file system from an already (loopback)
mounted filesystem. You might be able to modify this script to do
automatic screening for an linux image...

HTH,

Jens

P.S.: Status of DropInDebian:
The dbootstrap (?) program is modified, and you are able to install debian
in a file on a dos partition (e.g.), but you have got to do most of the
creation of files and mounting by hand. In addition the initramdisk is not
modified automatically.

--
Jens.Ritter@weh.rwth-aachen.de       grimaldi@debian.org
KeyID: 2048/E451C639 1998/01/28