Re: Installation Program Suggestion

On 10 Dec 1998, Ben Pfaff wrote:

> Paul Komarek <komarek@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
>
>    > The problem with HTML-based installation is the following: there is no
>    > way, without doing something nasty, of running logic on the local
>    >
>    > I just don't see the benefit, especially since when the installation
>
>    1) Among the main complaints about Linux is installing it, just as with
>    WinWhatever.
>    2) People are rapidly becoming familiar with web browsers and 'surfing'
>    for information.
>    3) A single cd is pretty darn cheap these days, and I can't imagine that
>    you couldn't set up a fully functional linux system with a cd, a ramdisk,
>    and maybe even a little diskspace if absolutely necessary.  This would
>    include network connectivity.
>
> After all, there's no reason that the HTML on the boot floppies
> couldn't be run through a verifier beforehand.  Restrictions like this
> would make it possible to write a very small HTML browser.

It's nice to hear I'm not the only crazy one!  I wish I could offer some
help, but I have to let school distract me from the important things in
life, at least until I've taken my qualifier in January.  I can see why
people like the Debian flavor--when you have an idea related to a linux
distribution, it is easy to find the people to talk to.  On the other
hand, sending a letter to RedHat is hardly gratifying.

What do you think of the network connectivity?  As everyone has probably
realized, I don't know unix systems inside and out, including Linux.  But
this doesn't seem like it would be too hard, since the basic components of
accessing the modem have been around a long time.  The hardest part, I
would think, would be making the connection easy for a novice user--i.e.
pap or no pap, or other isp-particular settings.  Of course, there's no
reason to try to get everything at once, so making it work at all would be
the first step--and to my naive brain, this doesn't seem like it would be
too bad.  What am I missing?

-Paul Komarek