Re: Installation Program Suggestion

Paul Komarek <komarek@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

   >    3) A single cd is pretty darn cheap these days, and I can't imagine that
   >    you couldn't set up a fully functional linux system with a cd, a ramdisk,
   >    and maybe even a little diskspace if absolutely necessary.  This would
   >    include network connectivity.

   What do you think of the network connectivity?  As everyone has probably
   realized, I don't know unix systems inside and out, including Linux.  But
   this doesn't seem like it would be too hard, since the basic components of
   accessing the modem have been around a long time.  The hardest part, I
   would think, would be making the connection easy for a novice user--i.e.
   pap or no pap, or other isp-particular settings.  Of course, there's no
   reason to try to get everything at once, so making it work at all would be
   the first step--and to my naive brain, this doesn't seem like it would be
   too bad.  What am I missing?

I'm not sure.  My roommate has a 4X CD burner, and at $1 and 20
minutes per CD I might try experiment sometime.  Working on boot
floppies was the whole reason I bought an extra computer.  We'll see.

I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes here.  Let me know if I'm
looking at things that are already planned.  But I think that my ideas
are safely wacky enough that they won't disrupt anything :-)