Re: Observations on installing other Linux distribs

On Mon, Dec 07, 1998 at 11:46:30PM -0500, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Over the last couple of weekends, I've been installing as many Linux

> * `Install or upgrade' option... not in-place upgradeable?

Technically no, but its possible if you like to do things manually. If you do
do it manually, expect to get alot of config files blown over.

>   - Growable? flag on partitions... what does this mean?

This means that it will grow the partition to use up all free space
surrounding it.

> * Doesn't include any useful command-line tools on the boot disk;
>   i.e., when I had network trouble I couldn't invoke ping or telnet,
>   or even ifconfig or route.

Redhat boot disk is "not a rescue disk," or so the boot message says.

> * Then it asked me to select my video card, but I wasn't sure what
>   kind it was (some sort of Trident though) so I selected Unsupported
>   VGA compatible and it downloaded & installed the VGA16 server for
>   me.

When I installed redhat at home (to use as an attempt to 'upgrade' it to
debian), it was able to successfully determine the chipset (Which I've since
forgotton, an ATI 3D Rage card), install the X server and set it up with
appropriate modes without asking me a single "techie" question

This impressed me, I admit.

> * Tried rpm but found its command-line interface incomprehensible.
>
> * Ran glint but found it less than useful (how to tell it to download
>   via ftp like the install disks?)

It is, and you can't.