Re: State of Debian blends, notes and questions on debian-ezgo

Hi shirish,

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 10:08:05PM +0000, shirish शिरीष wrote:
> I have been a user of Debian for about a decade or so and am looking
> an introductory article on the debian-pure blends concept for
> itsfoss.com [1] . It can be seen that I have been writing about
> Debian-related topics for sometime.  For research I looked into [2]
> and [3] as well as [4] to have some more understanding of where things
> stand, seeing last 6-8 months of discussions on the lists.
>
> I did remove some obsolete documentation from the wiki trivial IMHO
> [5] [6] .

Thanks a lot for these fixes.  Should I say I'm happy you did not found
even more outdated information? ;-)  I admit the documentation about
Blends is nothing I'm really proud about ...

> I am somewhat stumped by [7]  which links to DebianPAN [8]
> but is not listed in blends-tasks [9],  more precisely in -
>
> $ cat /usr/share/tasksel/descs/debian-blends-tasks.desc
>
> The debian-blends-tasks.desc has no info. about what the Debian-PAN
> blend is all about. Either a bug or an oversight ?

As far as I remember it is intended by the driver (Frédéric in CC) since
he not felt it to be ready.  At least no metapackages were released so
far.

> @ Frankling Weng - could you share the github repo. of the ezgo repo.
> at github and what is the state of the rewrite of the phet simulations
> as shared in [10]  - more precisely -
>
> " https://phet.colorado.edu/
> Simulations for math/science/biology/... etc.  Simulations were
> created by Java applets and flash before, and now they are rewriting
> them in HTML5.
> We have offline versions of their simulations in our ezgo system, so
> that kids without network can play too.
>
> However the whole offline packages are more than 700MB and after
> gzip'ed it was more than 500 MB too. "

Franklin's last message about this was here:

   https://lists.debian.org/debian-blends/2019/01/msg00002.html

Jonas' and my answer to this (addressing the code copy issue) are
not answered yet.

> Look forward to getting more info.

I'd recommend watching videos of my talks at DebConf.  Specifically
I'd like to recommen

    https://gensho.ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/debian-meetings/2013/debconf13/high/987_How_to_attract_new_developers_for_your_team.ogv

which has not Blends inside the title which might have been the reason
that it went into the main audience room and attracted a larger audience
than those talks with Blends inside the title (specifically the
discussion starting at about 30min is interesting - key statements after
38min).  My personal interpretation of this effect is that lots of
people in Debian miss the point that Blends can have a lot of
advertising power.  At my talks page

    https://people.debian.org/~tille/talks/

you can find slides and videos of several Blends related talks.  One
slide I'm continuously updating over years is this one:

    https://people.debian.org/~tille/talks/20180210_debian-med-sprint/sprints+mentoring.pdf#page=18

Honestly speaking I consider my pet project Debian Med in principle not
a very important topic for Debian since medicine and life sciences are
rather a niche usage of Debian.  This makes it even more impressive that
despite this a niche project running "the right way" (tm) = following
the Blends way, has attracted one developer per year which makes about
2% of all Debian developers.  How many gifted developers would we able
to attract if we would create more Blends?

Thanks a lot for your interest and your intention to write an article
about Blends

     Andreas.

PS: Sorry for using inline links to not mess up to much with your
    longish link list.