Re: change proposal for handling of Depends: field in task files

HI Andreas, hi all,

On  Sa 05 Aug 2017 13:25:48 CEST, Andreas Tille wrote:

2. We create bugs for all known build-dependencies of blends-dev to
2.1 'sed s/^Depends:/Recommends:/ -i tasks/*`
2.2 insert a "Format: https://blends.d.o/format"; as first line to
    indicate that the new format is used

3. Once all switched (should be not that difficult, due to the
 straightforward change), we upload a new version of blends-dev that
 checks the format id and
 a) either exits with error if it is not there or a wrong one
 b) prints a depretation warning and proceeds with the old style in that
    case
 Because of the trivial change, I would prefer a).

I admit for the sake of simplicity (and the fact that we have only a
few Blends we could deal with easily) we could simply fix blends-dev
to accept Recommends.  After this we could inform those few Blends
maintainers (I'll be responsible for med, science and junior), I guess
Debian GIS and Debian Games are also happy about the change, no idea
about Debian Multimedia and how/whether it is maintained at all,
Debian Accessibilities only uses web sentinel (no metapackages - I
would do the change here as well) and finally EzGo which is kind of
a riddle to me.

In a second round we could later change the behaviour of Depends.  I
agree that technically that's a weak solution but should work if
somebody intends to reproduce older packages since we would fail to
reproduce older packages from older Git commits.  However, I do not
consider this a strong argument over burning developer time with
implementing and testing a more complex versioning + format system.

I have now pushed several commits for debian-blends. Unfortunately, they stack on each other and earlier code gets reworked by later commits. Never push before you are done with full testing... Well.

Nonetheless, the current status of blends-dev is:

 1. it now fully suppors two modes "nodepends=true" (aka -D) and
    "nodepends=false (aka without -D)
 2. the "nodepends=true mode is the default

  => this means, all blends packages can stay as they are!!!!!
  => no need to depromote packages in task files from Depends: to Recommends:

 3. I fully reworked the control file generation for nodepends=false

  => this closes #825172, make sure to include that in debian/changelog

 4. the nodepends=false mode can be enabled in the blends package's Makefile
    by setting GENCONTROL_DEPENDS = true

=> see https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-edu/debian-edu.git/commit/?id=621a2498bdc6127cc57c4ecfcad158300d9dfa0f
     for an example

 5. if nodepends=false (i.e. Depends become Depends), then also packages
are checked now for availability in unstable and depromoted to Suggests: if missing

Hope this works well for everyone, feedback welcome!

Greets,
Mike

--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31