Re: blends-doc Appendix B

Quoting Andreas Glaeser (2016-10-28 08:24:47)
> I am a beginner with debian-packaging and to tell you the truth,
> bringing my packages into
>
> official debian-repositories does not have priority, but I felt it
> would be the correct
>
> way to do it, using a metapackage.
>
> We are in fact planning to make binary images using preseeding and
> metapackages in
>
> KVM-machines.
>
> It is not only one package either, but a 32- and a 64- bit version.
>
> For me the question remains, how to integrate configuration-changes,
> for Privoxy for
>
> instance, what is the simplest most common way for that, use debconf
> or cfengine or just
>
> package the conf-file into the metapackage, would this violate
> debian-policies?

Use debconf whenever possible: That is best because a debconf interface
is a promise to support said configuration.

If packages provide support for adding config.d snippets then that is
reliable too (but less so than debconf: Another package might add a
config snippet contradicting yours.

A few packages (e.g. asterisk and shorewall) support providing custom
configuration as a separate package.  You then just have to make sure
your config-package provides and conflicts against any default config
package.

lacking above options, you quite likely violate policy by overriding
default config of other packages - see e.g. bug#311188.

For unofficial packaging of configuration files, you might find the
Debathena approach interesting: http://debathena.mit.edu/

 - Jonas