Re: Proposed Debian Fluxbox blend

Hi Stephen,

Quoting Stephan Foley (2015-12-27 07:43:49)
> Hello everyone! Not sure if I'm posting to the right mailing list.
> I've been using Debian for over a year and have, what I consider, a
> rock solid OS using Fluxbox as the windows manager. I used Crunchbang
> for several years before (Openbox). It took me a few months to figure
> out pure vanilla Debian and, since now I know the right files to
> install and have all the configuration worked out, am willing to pass
> this along to the community if there is any interest.
>
> I'll put in a little motivation here about why Fluxbox. It is actively
> developed, very lightweight and never crashes. Basically, it just
> stands back and lets you use all the apps you need without getting in
> the way.
>
> For the folks at Debian, I will add there's a lot of interest in
> Fluxbox/Openbox. It is very popular with the tweakers and graphic
> designers of the Unix world. With the demise of Crunchbang, there is a
> need for a simple install of a nice Linux OS and I think this could
> fit the bill. Debian now comes in several flavors...GNOME, KDE, LXDE,
> Xfce, Cinnamon and MATE,,,but these all, in my mind, share the same
> design philosophy and are aping the Windows paradigm. Fluxbox is much
> more elegant and attuned to what makes Linux special.
>
> Anyway, that's my pitch. If there is any interest out there, I'd like
> to partner up with someone who knows the ins and outs of packaging and
> repositories, etc.

Sounds wonderful, and quite in line with the kind of work Siri and I are
doing at the moment: We try map how some Debian-derived distributions
differ from "vanilla Debian" - with the vision that Debian ideally
should be flexible enough to adapt to such needs at install time.

I would love to work with you on getting Debian to contain your specific
desktop composition.

I suggest that we start an Alioth group for this, start piece it
together.  Do you already have an Alioth account?  Else creating that
would be a start, including establishing SSH access there:
https://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/SSH

Then, for creating a group on Alioth (which I think is easiest done by
someone with more priviledges in Debian, so I suggest that I do that)
we'd need a name for the project.  Do you have a name already?  Else how
about simply calling it "fluxbox-blend"?

 - Jonas