Re: Blends Live CDs

Hi Ben,

On Sat, Dec 06, 2014 at 12:23:15PM -0400, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> And here's my report of my test build:
>
> On 06/12/14 09:26 AM, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> > Here are some notes from my quick initial review (before attempting a
> > build):
> >
> > 1. Strictly speaking you don't need
> > config/package-lists/live.list.chroot, as /usr/lib/live/build/config
> > automatically creates this file and populates it with appropriate
> > contents (for jessie/sid, exactly what you have in it now).
>
> But this worked fine in my build anyway, as expected.

I'll remove that file from the config in git, as it's being autogenerated
anyway.

> > 2. You have debs directly in the config. It's preferable to configure
> > your image to point at a publicly accessible apt archive containing your
> > development deb snapshots. Alternatively, during the development cycle
> > you could make auto/config responsible for populating a local repo
> > directly from git with metapackages via blends-dev.
>
> I'll see, next, if I can work something out based on this second approach.

It should just be:

 * git clone
 * make dist
 * git-buildpackage
 * cp *.deb

Which I think could be handled by auto/config just fine.

> > 3. You have config/includes.binary/isolinux/splash.png and live-images
> > has config/bootloaders/isolinux/splash.svg. I don't know if this is a
> > problem. I merely point out the difference.
>
> The splash image was picked up and used, so it seems this configuration
> is fine.

Cool.

> > None of these things should be fatal for the build. Later, I'll have a
> > look at an actual build using a jessie i386 build host (but with amd64
> > kernel, so an amd64 image can be produced) and live-build 4.0.3-1. My
> > personal build host is slow, so this will take a while. :)
>
> The build was successful and booted and performed autologin as the live
> user to the MATE desktop fine on an EeePC model 1001px. I connected to
> my wireless WPA2 network and briefly popped onto channel #debian via
> xchat. As for the hamradio packages, I noted their presence in the menus
> but otherwise didn't know what to do with them. ;)

Yep, people have been playing with the ISO I built and have been telling me
that the ham radio software works, but have also pointed out bits that
don't, like things looking for /dev/dsp when it doesn't exist.

The ISO I built has now been downloaded over 300 times.

Thanks,
Iain.

--
e: irl@fsfe.org            w: iain.learmonth.me