Re: Blends Live CDs

On 26.11.2014 21:12, Iain R. Learmonth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 08:05:14PM +0100, Markus Koschany wrote:
>> It also uses live-build to create the images. Unfortunately the
>> resulting image was unusable and I got a kernel panic every time I tried
>> to boot the DVD.
>
> Were you trying to boot in QEMU? I found the same problem, but found it went
> away if I used real hardware or VirtualBox.

I was using QEMU but after that I also burned the image on a real DVD,
the result was the same though. Did you upload your configuration
somewhere? Maybe it can help to narrow down the problem.

>> I would be very much interested in combining our efforts and to work on
>> a single solution that works for all Blends. I'd be happy if you shared
>> your plans for your system.
>
> In my plan, it's still necessary for you to put together the live-build
> configuration as you've done there in the git repository. There's a server
> that has a list of git repositories to look at, and then just regularly
> builds ISO images.

That's fine. I was also looking for regular test builds of the resulting
live DVD. I'm completely happy with maintaining the live-build
configuration for Debian Games in this repository but would contribute
to any effort that tries to find a general solution to regularly build
those live images.

> The documentation on blends suggests that we use blends-dev to generate the
> live-build configuration, but I don't think this is workable. There's going
> to be customisation that needs to be done. I notice though that you're not
> depending on the Games Blend metapackages but instead on the individual
> packages, I've not had any problems using the metapackages and it's more
> likely to be able to cope with missing packages.

I haven't pushed my changes to this repository yet because I never got a
usable DVD working. So there is still a lot of old preliminary work. One
problem I have encountered was that the installation of recommended
packages was disabled for this setup. In general I appreciate that
approach because it saves a couple of MB on the DVD. However the games
won't be installed either because the metapackages only recommend the
games. Any idea how I can turn off the installation of recommended
packages for live-build but force apt to install the recommended games
from my Blends packages?

> I'll look at putting together scripts for doing this and a machine to run it
> on for now. I have no idea what the proper procedures are for finding a Debian
> project machine to run it more permanently though.
>
> I also am not sure how to deal with stable releases, which is probably part
> of a bigger question. Right now I'm only looking at building testing images
> (daily or weekly depending on the resources available).

I would be completely satisfied with building some testing images for
the time being. I'm quite sure we wouldn't be the first project that
builds live images for Debian. Perhaps someone else reading this list
knows whom we should contact...