Re: Do tools &/or instructions exist?

Quoting Richard Owlett (2013-08-30 15:56:52)

> Debian, due to its heritage, suffers from one major problem - it tries
> to be *all* things to *all* people *all* of the time.

I disagree strongly about that: Blends is about emphasizing how Debian
is flexible and can be optimal for *some* things to *some* people *some*
of the time.  Not only making it so, but also emphasizing what is
already so.

Let me repeat: Blends is not something made _from_ Debian. It is making
something _with_ Debian itself.

> There appear to be 3 relevant lists I might post to:
>    Embedian - but you note that the blends group sees that as a
> blend. The attraction
>               for me is associating embedding with very small.
>    Installer - I see my goal being heavily focused on
> installation tools/instructions.
>                The group seems focused on moving towards one tool
> fits all.
>    PureBlends - seems oriented towards tools for small
> identifiable groups.

Beware of the distinction between user and developer lists.

The distinction is not whether you want to develop something or not, but
whether you want to develop *Debian* or not.

At least two of above lists (installer and blends) are developers'
lists.

Makes good sense to work on a Blend that perfects Debian for your needs
- if your needs can be defined in a way relevant for reuse by others
too.

Perhaps this is good inspiration: I have worked some time with a Linux
user group inside the European Parliament.  One of their goals is to
"walk the talk" and use Debian Linux as their desktop for daily work.

We decided to then generalize that and have created a draft for a
"debian-parl" blend: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianParl

Maybe it makes sense to start that way? Create a wiki page similar to
DebianParl on our wiki (it's a wiki - you are welcome to create new
pages there!) framing the kind of blend that you want to work on.

Then from there we can try discuss how it makes best sense to reach your
dream.  Because blending means working _with_ Debian (not from or on top
of it), and Debian has grown large structures that sometimes are helping
but sometimes is a challenge to deal with sensibly.

...that's the kind of things reasonable to discuss on this list :-)

 - Jonas