Re: Do tools &/or instructions exist?

Hi Richard,

[Cc added - please tell if subscribed and that is unneeded]

Quoting Richard Owlett (2013-08-29 17:17:35)
> I considered posing this question to the embedded list, they might be
> closer to some of my goals historically/philosophically. However
> reading pages by both embedded and blends group, I believe Debian, in
> all its flavors, are moving in direction that this group is more
> suitable.

One of the primary goals of Debian is to be flexible.

Emdebian (as I guess you are referring to) can be seen as a spearhead of
Debian in the field of embedded devices - as Debian itself matures in
handling e.g. cross-arch (building for foreign target) and multi-arch
(several on same host), emdebian slowly becomes Debian itself.

Such development style with the aim to get absorbed into Debian is what
we call a "blend": Emdebian is arguably a Debian blend (as labeled by us
here in the blends team - even if that's not how they label themselves).

More info here: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPureBlends

> My goal is to install Debian 7.1 (6.0.5 if absolutely required) on
> multiple *isolated* machines. For installation purposes, internet or
> other connectivity is *NON-EXISTENT*.
[details snipped]

Your project sounds exciting.  And perhaps indeed interesting to do as a
Debian blend.  Please tell us more about your project - what is the
purpose of the setup? How might it be relevant for others to do similar?

Please notice that Debian blends is less about tools to deploy Debian,
and more about the mindset of improving Debian for specific use, by
enhancing Debian itself instead of forking it or piggybacking on it.

You may find our helper tools useful also for differently aimed works,
but expect us to be far more enthusiastic helping you when your aim is a
Debian blend. :-)

> 4. I'm under impression all this should be doable via preseeding. I've
> done some experiments. Is there a template preseed file aimed AT THIS
> GOAL?

Specifically about preseeding, this might be useful:
http://hands.com/d-i/

It also sounds like your scenario is a perfect use of the tool "boxer"
that I am working on.  Not in a usable state yet, but you might get a
vague impression from these:

http://source.boxer.biks.dk/?p=boxer.git;a=blob;f=doc/boxer.svg
http://source.boxer.biks.dk/?p=boxer.git;a=blob;f=bin/boxer

...or the README of an earlier draft (no, the tool is not only for
FreedomBox that text may seem):

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/boxer.git
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/boxer.git;a=blob;f=README

Please do tell us more about your project, and tell us how you imagine
it being relevant also for others than yourself.

 - Jonas