Re: [GSoC] blends-gen-control hints (Was: blends-dev, gsoc 2013)

Hello Andreas,

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 11:16 PM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:

I do not see any reason to derive the name.  Finally it is the name we
are targeting at - I see no point in inventing new names.  Since we do
not yet upload I see no chance for any harm that could be done.

You see the name change is asking for trouble and --force-<anything> is
some last resort workaround we should avoid.  If you want to go the
clean way for renaming a package you need to use

  Conflicts: blends-dev
  Provides: blends-dev
  Replaces: blends-dev

just in case you might need this in other cases for the future.

The reason I choosed blends-dev-patch name is: for the moment blends-gsoc source does not contain "blend-get-names" and "blend-install-helper" scripts. So in case I debuild blends-gsoc with the name blends-dev, when installed it replaces the previous blends-dev  and the scripts mentioned before are lost(it also removes the /usr/share/blends/templates). So my idea for the moment was to have a blends-dev-patch package which when installed uses --force-overwrite to replace just the  blend-gen-control,Makefile and rules files in /usr/share/blends-dev and keep the rest of the files untouched(blend-get-names, blend-install-helper and blends/templates).
Do you suggest to move blend-get-names, blend-install-helper, blends/templates in the blends-gsoc git and have  a clean package blends-dev which properly replaces the current one?

Kind regards

Emmanouil