Re: Switching from SVN to Git

On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 07:11:38AM -0300, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> >>   2. git://git.debian.org/git/debian-blends/projects/<BLEND>.git
> >>      where BLEND is out of ('accessibility', 'brdesktop', 'debichem',
> >>      'edu', ...) just any Blends source packages as can be found
> >>      currently in
> >>        svn://svn.debian.org/blends/projects/<BLEND>/trunk/<BLEND>/
> >>      I would try to manually recreate the tags of released package
> >>      versions to some reasonable extend.
> >
> > do I understand correctly that you want to keep the same source just with
> > different version in twon (or more) git repos? If so, I obviously don't see
> > the point, esp. as they both/all reside in git.debian.org/git/debian-blends/
>
> Agreed. I'd rather see a split of the projects into their own repos with
> the move to git.

I somehow have the feeling that on one hand my explanation was weak and
the two comments are a result of different interpretations.  Currently
the SVN subdirectory projects/ contains the source of *several* source
packages for different Blends (Holger, debian-edu is linked via SVN
externals).  I intend to do what Ben was suggesting:  Each Blends source
package should get its own Git repository and it seems reasonable to me
for the moment to let these remain in the Blends team repository area
(where ACLs could properly set).  As far as I know Git cloning to some
other place is no problem and I do also see no real problems to move
single Git repositories to some other place - the tools that are
accessing these source files can be easily adapted to different
locations.

Hope this clarifies the plan.  Kind regards