Re: idea... free voting portals...?

Hi Yaroslav,

On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 12:38:44PM -0500, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> Hi Blend People ;)
>
> With nice blends task pages, we have got a nice way to overview of what
> we have packaged or what needs to be packaged.  popcon provides us idea
> on what software is actually popular among the users but it is
> difficult to prioritize what should be our next ITP ;)

In principle I also like to know what might be the most wanted package
to effectively spend my time on and I also once considered voting.
However, I came to the conclusion that voting is most probably not the
best way for the following reasons:
  1. To have a reasonable vote you need about at least 10 voters.
     I have the impression that our pages are not popular enough
     to attract enough people who are active enough to really spend
     to vote.
  2. You have no idea what background / knowledge the voter really
     has.  Getting votes for the nicest web page or the most colorful
     screenshot does not help.
  3. I consider the "mail voting interface" (=sending mail to the team
     list) as good enough to  enable at least one or two active people
     "voting" - so as long as I do not see any single mail there seems
     to be no reason to make more effrot into this.

> bold idea: have "vote" button per each package entry so people could
> vote for the necessity to have such software packaged.  But since it is
> non-trivial to implement correctly  I am not even asking for it now...

That's another thing:  I have more ideas which are easier to implement
and at least with the same positive effect to the overall project.

> I wonder if anyone could recommend any available voting webservice, e.g.
> http://uservoice.com (it does provide an option for free plan, but may
> be there are better services?), which makes it easy to provide a
> list of TODO items so people could go through it and click on the pieces
> they are interested in?
>
> It might help us to organize packaging schedule more appropriately.

So even if I might sound negative about the idea - if somebody wants
to implement it that's perfectly welcome.