Re: metapackages

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 09:40:26PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 06:24:16PM +0100, rosea.grammostola a ?crit :
> > Ok cool. Where should that sources.list file be placed? And how does
> > that magic work e.g. that the sources.list is used when generating the
> > package?
>
> Dear Rosea,
>
> ideally, your package would be built for Debian in a Debian chroot, and for
> Ubuntu in an Ubuntu chroot, which would contain sources.list files restricted
> to the strict minimum.

Just for clarification:  If you are creating a *source* package using
the blends-dev package there is no real need for using a chroot
environment.  The sources.list file I was talking about are shiped
together with blends-dev in /etc/blends and can be overriden by
a sources.list.<targetdist> file in the root directory of your working
directory where you are creating the resulting source package.  I guess
Rosea has managed this.  This is the process you need to do *before*
you are actually building the packages (favourably in a {p,cow}builder
environment).

The blends-dev package has the purpose to create valid debian/control
files in a specific target distribution.  To do so you need to have
Internet access (to find out which packages are available in the target
distribution).  The idea behind this is, that a package should build
correctly without internet access and you are not allowed to change
debian/control at build time.

In short:  When talking about sources.list files for blends-dev they
are *different* from those which are used in chroots which are actually
used to build a package and to fetch Build-Depends.