Re: metapackages

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 07:37:43PM +0100, rosea.grammostola wrote:
>> Seems to be a bug in apt in Lucid. It's fixed in maverick.

Thanks for reporting this.  We probably should document this issue somehow.

> And do you tell me if you have a fix for the unwanted dependency you get
> when not using tasksel (now solved with equivs)?

To answer your latest question why all other Blends seem to use the
tasksel package:  Well, I actually do not really remember any more.  It
was introduced by Debian Edu and turned out to be something like a
default and thus the problem was not detected that the dependency is
enforced even if there is no tasksel package created.

However, when thinking twice about this I wonder why at all there is
this strong dependency for all single metapackages.  A Suggests should
perfectly be enough.  I have to think about this twice.

To answer your question about the timing:  It's a bit blocked because
bugs #577062 and #601959 (which is actually the same bug) have high
priority (the tasksel issue is not because finally it does not affect
any of the packages in Squeeze).  So I would like to aks you for some
patience.  It would probably a good idea if you file a bug report and
post your equivs configuration as a temporary hack around it.  I think
if the bug above is settled and the packages in Squeeze are fine I
will care for the problem (7 to 14 days).

Kind regards and thanks for your comments