Re: Could be considered a *Debian Blend* a CDD with packages from diferent repos

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 05:11:04PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
Le Thu, May 20, 2010 at 08:29:50AM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard a écrit :
On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 10:46:12AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:

one of the problems of the above strategy is that it does not work with aptitude, which will even remove the suggested package installed by apt-get. Also, once one starts to use APT::Install-Suggests=true, it means that he can not use ‘apt-get autoremove’ for its normal intended use, which is to deinstall the packages that are not needed anymore on the system after an upgrade.

Hmm - are you sure about that? I got the impression that Aptitude flags "auto-installed" separately from the static "suggests" hints.

Hi Jonas,

I made a couple of tests on my machine, where the med-bio metapackage is installed.

‘apt-get -o APT::Install-Suggests=true install t-coffee’ installs t-coffee-doc and t-coffee-examples, which is expected as the other suggested packages are recommended by med-bio. If I install an unrelated package with aptitude, it removes t-coffee-doc and t-coffee-examples. I then purged t-coffee, and tried to install it with aptitude, with the command ‘aptitude -o APT::Install-Suggests=true install t-coffee’, but aptitude seems to ignore APT::Install-Suggests=true. This shows that we may not be able to work with aptitude.

Ah. Seems aptitude simply ignores APT::Install-Suggests then. I suggest filing a bugreport.

Later, I realised another and bigger problem: APT::Install-Suggests=true has a recursive effect. Ran in a minimal system, ‘apt-get -o APT::Install-Suggests=true install t-coffee’ tried to pull an enormous number of packages. APT::Install-Suggests=true therefore can give very different results according on which system it is used, which is I think a killer problem in our case.

Yeah, this doesn't surprise me.

Oh, and regarding variations in installed systems: Yeah, this is a weakness in Debian currently, also for recommends - and for any relations satisfied by multiple packages (using fallbacks, Provides: or virtual package names). Installing suggests just multiplies the number of possible variations.

 - Jonas