Re: Could be considered a *Debian Blend* a CDD with packages from diferent repos

Le Wed, May 19, 2010 at 03:53:18PM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> I would like to mention that even "unpure" Blends can work with the
> metapackages builded in a Pure Blend: If the a package is not part
> of official Debian the mentioned dependencies are added as Suggests
> and afterwards installed via
>
>   apt-get -o APT::Install-Suggests=true install foo
>
> if backports is included in sources.list.  I would consider this as
> a reasonable way to make use of backports in a (not so pure) Blends
> concept.

Hi Andreas and everybody,

one of the problems of the above strategy is that it does not work with
aptitude, which will even remove the suggested package installed by apt-get.
Also, once one starts to use APT::Install-Suggests=true, it means that he can
not use ‘apt-get autoremove’ for its normal intended use, which is to deinstall
the packages that are not needed anymore on the system after an upgrade.

I am very interested by the idea of using a Debian stable system complemented
by backports, but I think that it will need another strategy, for instance
having the blends packages backported themselves, with versionned dependancies
on other backported packages. This will of course work only with packages that
are maintained by the same persons as the blend themselves, and if
uncoordinated backports are not possible. That makes too many ‘if’s, so probably
that strategy is not so viable either.

Perhaps it would be good to enquire in advance on debian-devel@l.d.o what will
be the policy for backports.debian.org ?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team