Re: [tiago@debian-ba.org: Re: New name: Call for opinions]

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Tiago Bortoletto Vaz wrote:

       Debian Integrated Solutions

I like the idea of switching to" Solution" and leaving "Distribution"
here. In fact Distribution is a very strong term that can not be
banalized as it has been nowadays done.

Yes, this was the idea.

However, I guess you should try to say in few words that a DISh is a
kind of specific purpose solution instead of a general purpose one. I
can't imagine anything better now (my english is very limited) but maybe
using words like specific/purpose/oriented or so would give us a more
adequate name

Well, I agree in principle, but I'm afraid that this is to much for a
name.  IMHO we should mention this in the definition / explanation of
the name.  The main idea was to get rid of a misleading name and "Solution"
is something you have at least no wrong asusmptions about.  At worst
if it says nothing to you, you might start reading the docs if you
are curious.  This is better than just going with a wrong assumption
without further reading.

Hmm... Now reading all suggestions on wiki I have my 2 cents:

Debian SIG Solution (Debian's Special Interest Group Solution)

What do you think?

Well, it perfectly fits the idea but I'm not convinced that this
is a catchy name.

I really don't care about the CDD/DISh/SIG/DSD/SDD because all of them
sounds terrible for end users, mainly for those who don't speak english.
For me the point here is the sense that the name pass to the users and
developers.

If you ask me I really hate naming discussions and I would love to avoid
them because they tend to consume much time by finally having no technical
output.  But we just need a name to address the concept and we need to
address the right concept.  And I agree that any acronym based on an
English meaning might sound strange to non English speakers and I admit
I've got a hint via private mail to just combine the name of my wife and
me as Ian had done with Deb-Ian.  But I don't like this either for
several reasons - so I would like to go with DIS because I would regard
this as the best amongst a set of other suggestions.

I guess my suggestion above is something that would be self-explaining.
So, no extra-words to say what is a Debian SIG Solution :)

Do you think that mentioning this in the definition in the docs might
be a good compromise?

BTW, I strongly support the idea of having a formal defintion for this
thingy. I mean, the name should not be released without a kind of a
official "CDD/DISh/SIG/DSD/SDD Policy"

I'll work on this.

Have a good trip!

Well, I hope you had as well.  I'm actually back since 6 days but stayed
away from the keyboard for a certain time to relax from DebConf.  I used
my trip for several renamings inside doc and code:

   svn://svn.debian.org/cdd/cdd/trunk/dis

So my trip was kind of productive (well, no really creative things were
possible any more after DebConf - I was to tired).  I hope you and Tassia
are fine as well.  I will point you to recordings / images of the event

   https://penta.debconf.org/dc8_schedule/events/353.en.html

once I've got some links.  (I know Tassia was sorry about missing it. ;-))

See you next DebConf and many thanks for your input