[tiago@debian-ba.org: Re: New name: Call for opinions]

----- Forwarded message from Tiago Bortoletto Vaz <tiago@debian-ba.org> -----

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 11:21:30 -0300
From: Tiago Bortoletto Vaz <tiago@debian-ba.org>
To: Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de>
Cc: Custom Debian Distributions <debian-custom@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: New name: Call for opinions

Hi Andreas,

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 04:11:31AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to hear opinons about the new naming proposal given at
>
>     http://wiki.debian.org/CDDNamingProposals#head-7bb1ae330046f9d0720b77e76d6ee7aa992b754f
>
> So I think we should go on renaming waht formerly used to be
> Custom Debian Distributions to
>
>        Debian Integrated Solutions

I like the idea of switching to" Solution" and leaving "Distribution"
here. In fact Distribution is a very strong term that can not be
banalized as it has been nowadays done.

However, I guess you should try to say in few words that a DISh is a
kind of specific purpose solution instead of a general purpose one. I
can't imagine anything better now (my english is very limited) but maybe
using words like specific/purpose/oriented or so would give us a more
adequate name

Hmm... Now reading all suggestions on wiki I have my 2 cents:

Debian SIG Solution (Debian's Special Interest Group Solution)

What do you think?

> pronounced
>
>        DISh

I really don't care about the CDD/DISh/SIG/DSD/SDD because all of them
sounds terrible for end users, mainly for those who don't speak english.
For me the point here is the sense that the name pass to the users and
developers.

I guess my suggestion above is something that would be self-explaining.
So, no extra-words to say what is a Debian SIG Solution :)

> because it is a dish we provide a flavour.
>
> Please comment on this.
>
> I'll be kind of sparse responsive over the next days but I'll be happy
> to read your opinions once I'm back from DebConf ...
>
> Last greetings from Mar del Plata
>
>         Andreas.

BTW, I strongly support the idea of having a formal defintion for this
thingy. I mean, the name should not be released without a kind of a
official "CDD/DISh/SIG/DSD/SDD Policy"

Have a good trip!

Regards,

--