Re: custom vs. derivative

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 11:46:09PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

> The name CDD in my eyes is not measure of a quality.

I fully agree.

> It is rather a term that specifies a certain strategy a project uses
> to reach a goal as close as possible.

Oh.

Then I indeed misunderstood.  I thought it specified the goal itself.

> My intent is to spread Free Software as effective as possible.

Your intend in life, or your intend with CDD?

> I do not want to fight for a dogma.

Neither did I.  But I did want to work hard to clarify that strict
definition, I thought we had in common.

>> I like that idea.  But a (related but) *different* one than CDD.
>>
>> It is a bolder one, because it involves changes to fundamental Debian
>> structures.  CDD does not require interaction with ftpmaster ;-)
>
> Not in their current form.  But I see you start diving into the pool
> of problems that we have and you catched the decoy I have layed out.
> Once we start (re)defining CDD make sure that this definition is good
> /flexible enough to circumvent problems like even ftpmaster (and no,
> currently I have no idea how to implement this, but it will definitely
> not work with a too stiff definition).

I see no need to CDD being vague to achieve other goals for Debian.

I imagine multiple parallel release schedules to have a different name -
working well with CDD: CDD is not tied to specific infrastructure.

> I do not want to rank "thingies [123]" against each other.

Neither did I.

>> If you deliberately want a vague definition then why discussing at
>> all?
>
> Did I said that the definition should be vague?

CDD is about being completely inside Debian, right?

Except that when picking Debian Edu as an example not currently fitting
that definition, you call it nitpicking, praising what they do for Free
Software.

So we are *not* discussing CDD, but Free Software in general?

Or we are *not* discussing things inside Debian, but just things
_getting_ there eventually?

Sorry - I suddently lost interest in all this.  I am wasting my time!

Free Software is super cool!

Debian Edu is supercool!

Larry Wall is super cool!

CDD is, well, If only I knew.  I thought I did.

Good luck with the project!

> now elaborate on your prove that Debian work is distorted by something
> else than 100% Debian and not following your drawing.

Please do not twist my words around.

"distorted by things not 100% Debian but claiming to be" was my point.

And no, I won't prove that. Go read some bugreports yourself, to see how
not all Debian developers are happy to handle bugreports against
backports of their package installed on some alien OS the user thought
was "almost Debian".

Personally I am happy to do so.

And personally I am happy with Debian Edu.

  - Jonas

- --