Re: custom vs. derivative

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 07:59:01AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Apr 2008, Holger Levsen wrote:
>
>> The first one is not that easy as well. What does "within Debian" mean?
>
> Can be obtained from *.debian.org would be a quite simple and working
> definition in my eyes.

I disagree.

These fit your definition then:

   * A distribution made from all of main + 1 package from non-free
   * A distribution made from all of stable + 1 package from testing

Both can be distributed using a preseed file stored on wiki.debian.org.

How about this:

A "Custom Debian Distribution" is s subpart of the "Debian distribution"
as defined by the Debian project.  This means that all parts of it must
be completely contained inside the Debian distribution.

Even if Debian as a project officially decides to offer the
subdomain edu.debian.org to host what is currently published by
Skolelinux, I would not define that a a CDD.

Even if passed on to teachers directly on the streets of Oslo (instead
of downloaded from debian.org domains), I would approve it as a CDD if
all of redistributed content is also contained in the Debian
distribution.

The second sentence of my proposed definition is superfluous to me.  It
is only added to make ensure singular interpretation of the term
"subpart".  I strongly believe that the term cannot truly be interpreted
differently, but just in case...

We might want to look closer at the term "Debian distribution":  Is
Lenny a distribution?  Is Sarge and Lenny one or two distributions?

Personally, I consider "Debian distribution" as singular: "The Debian
distribution".  I consider Etch to be the current official version of
the Debian distribution, while Lenny is daily snapshots of the next
version not yet officially released.  So Lenny is the Debian
distribution, but it is not the officially released version of it.

This is important for me to clarify, as something mixing stable and
testing stuff is considered CDD development to me, but an official
release of a CDD cannot IMO be based on stuff that is not also
officially released by Debian.

If someone can find official Debian definition of "Debian distribution"
then that is *much* better than wasting time attempting to define
something that fundamentally is not for us to define :-)

  - Jonas

- --