Re: custom vs. derivative

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 02:52:56PM +0300, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

>"testing" is tied up pretty closely to Debian's release cycles. The
>quality and role of the testing distribution vary greatly in different
>stages of the Debian release.

Yep, agreed.

So if you choose to base something on testing, you better include a
timestamp in its title, and you *will* have a harder time explaining
your users the stability of what you provide them, simply because it is
not as constant as that of the famous "Debian stable distribution".

>Maintaining this makes sense if you have many testers and a building
>farm of your own. Smaller projects might find this workflow quite
>cumbersome.

Yep, agreed.

So smaller projects without the resources to handle a distribution
updated daily is probably better off basing their CDDs on Debian stable.

Or random snapshots of Debian testing, and then promote it as "Testing
release 1.0.20080401 of the xyz CDD, based 99% of stable Debian".

All I say is *don't* call something CDD if it only partly based on the
Debian distribution you promote is as being based on.

Call it "Xyz distribution version 1.0, based on Debian stable" if you
like, just leave out the "CDD" branding if not all inside Debian stable.

>In fact, they would use "stable + backports" because you just can't wait
>more than a year for a few very specific fixes to hit Stable, and you
>can do the specific and focused QA on those backports.

Good point.

It does not make backports stable, however.

Just as non-stable, non-free or non-Debian efforts to solve a valid need
for Java or Flash or whatever for some users is just that: non-stable,
non-free or non-Debian.  Not "Debian stable".  And thus cannot IMO be
branded as a stable CDD.

It makes good sense for some specific needs to mix Debian stable with
backports or other non-stable or even non-Debian sources.  But it *is*
unpure.

Yes, Debian is slow.  No, you cannot IMO make something faster than
Debian, and then *both* promote it as Debian and as better (more stable,
more free, more whatever) than the part of Debian you used.

Kind regards,

  - Jonas

- --