Re: Requesting advice regarding creating a custom Debian distribution

Hi,

On Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 05:21:21PM -0400, icelinux@icelinux.net wrote:
> Hi,
>   I have recently started a project to create a custom Debian
> distribution DebIce which provides a desktop with very low hardware
> requirements. I would appreciate any advice you could give me
> regarding the following:
>
> 1) Inclusion of software not currently available in the Debian package tree.
>   I have discovered there is some software not present in Debian which
> is needed for my distribution. Some of this software is already
> packaged for Debian by others and some of it is not.

As Andreas said, check why those packages are not in Debian yet. If
there is no real reason for, package them and find a sponsor.

> 2) Creating and maintaining a separate package repository to use for
> installation.
>   I want to use the Debian packages whenever possible, however there
> will be some packages that will require configuration file changes.
> Also, as previously mentioned, some software is not available through
> the Debian package system. I currently think it would be best to use 2
> repositories for installation - my repository and the Debian
> repositories - to fulfill this purpose in order to avoid having to
> resign all of the packages and to make certain updates were available
> as soon as possible.

Even needing packages to set things for your distribution, you can put
them into official Debian repositories if they are in compliance with
Debian Policy. In that way you will have a real CDD. Take a look in
Debian Edu packages and in our brazilian distro, Debian-BR-CDD. Try
diverts, alternatives, etc.

> 3) Any issue and problems you think I may encounter.

I'm using simple-cdd with some hacks, last debian-cd (not in debian
yet, I guess), mini-dinstall, dput and a few scripts to build the basic
infrastructure for Debian-BR-CDD. We use Trac to manage a wiki,
subversion repository and tracking bugs.

regards,

--
Tiago Bortoletto Vaz
0xA504FECA - http://pgp.mit.edu