Re: Re: trying simple-cdd

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 04:33:16PM -0500, Lloyd R. Prentice wrote:
> Hearty apologies  if  I appear  brain dead. I'm probably trying to do
> too many things at once.

no apologies needed- we all have moments of... less clarity :)

> Once again, let me review procedure to make sure that I haven't
> missed/forgotten anything:
>
> 1. Created a new user: cdd

> 2. Downloaded etch-simple-cdd with:
> bzr get http://cdd.alioth.debian.org/bzr/simple-cdd/etch-simple-cdd

> 3. cd  etch-simple-cdd
>
> 4. added two files to ../profiles/test.downloads
>
> 5. added six files to ../profiles/test.packages

by "files" i suspect you mean package names? one package name per line?

> 6. from ~/etch-simple-cdd executed:
> debuild -us -uc - i.bzr -b

debuild -us -uc -I.bzr -b

(this step will someday not be needed when simple-cdd is fully
integrated into debian).

> This gave me fatal error at line 897: problem running fake root

you probably need to install fakeroot.

> 7. My next step would be:
> ./build-simple-cdd --profiles test
> $(pwd)/../simple-cdd-profiles_0.3.0~1_all.udeb --mirror-tools "reprepro
> wget"

./build-simple-cdd --profiles test --local-packages $(pwd)/../simple-cdd-profiles_0.3.0~1_all.udeb

the '--mirror-tools "reprepro wget"' really shouldn't be necessary.

(the '--local-packages *simple-cdd-profiles*udeb' bit will also be
unecessary once simple-cdd is in debian)

> Any clues as the where or how I'm erring? Tomorrow is the last day I'll
> have to work on this until next weekend. Would love to have clean *.iso.

sounds pretty good, overall. install fakeroot, and you should be ready
to boot a CD. or at least report some more useful debugging :)

seeing as there's been so many troubles with the wget method, i'm
wondering if we shouldn't figure out a way to do it using rsync(not all
servers support rsync, and not all servers that do want to it be used
for things other than secondary mirrors) or some other method (i.e. get
debpartial-mirror working again), or grabbing those files off a debian
CD iso...

live well,
  vagrant