Re: Introduction

|--==> Darrin Thompson writes:

  DT> First of all component dependencies are vaporware atm. When they exist,
  DT> they will be high level.

  DT> For instance, gnome needs x11. xorg-6.9 and xorg-7 might both be
  DT> available and satisfy it.

  DT> In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't mostly confined to lsb
  DT> module names. So there would be few of them.

  DT> Clearly from the way I'm speculating this stuff is vapor.

Indeed I didn't get much of the point :)

Anyhow, from what I understand the idea would be to treat components a
bit as   macro-packages,  with  their dependencies, provides    and so
on. Otavio Salvador had a similar thinking  when we were talking about
a  very close topic  during a CDD meeting  in Castellon (who was there
might remember).

However I'm sure  I'm fully happy with  this,  and I'd rather  tend to
keep things as  flat as possibly,  relying directly  on actual package
dependencies. Note that there  already a few important "meta-packages"
in Debian, like  "gnome",  "gnome-core", "x-window-system", which  are
perfectly functional. I don't think we need to much of them..

Maybe  it would enough making  pdk resolve the dependency of component
by simply checking if the  a given dependency  can be satisfied by the
packages provided by the other components the component depends on (if
any) or otherwise add the package to the component.

Of  course all this  could  be done  in a controllable  way. Hope it's
clear enough..

  >>Anther issue is that AFAICS all the components published here:
  >>
  >>http://apt-devel.componentizedlinux.org/linux/cl/progeny.com/
  >>
  >>are made for sarge. Are you  maintaining there some in flux components
  >>following etch?
  >>
  DT> If you look a little closer you will see that they are a mix of sarge
  DT> and etch.

Does this mean that the components should work with etch too?

Cheers,

Free