Re: Introduction

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 15:58 +0100, Free Ekanayaka wrote:
> Having maintained a couple of CDDs  [0] for a  while I've gained a bit
> of knowledge of the problems  of creating and (especially) maintaining
> custom  distributions, and let me say  that the overall philosophy and
> designed behind PDK  is quite appealing.  I would  say that you really
> got to the point.

Thanks! That's a wonderful complement! I'm glad you've poked at it.

> If this  is  correct,  it  would  be quite  laborious   to create  new
> components.. I  admit  that when I  first  run pdk  resolve  on a test
> component I thought  that I would  have gotten some automatic guessing
> of the dependencies.
>
> Note   also that sometimes   the  dependencies of package change  (for
> example for a compiler transition, e.g.  libfoo1  -> libfoo1c), is the
> maintainer  of a component  supposed  to manually change the component
> accordingly?    If  so   we'd need   a   command  capable to  do  that
> automatically and to report what has changed.
>
> What is the proper way of proceeding here?

First of all component dependencies are vaporware atm. When they exist,
they will be high level.

For instance, gnome needs x11. xorg-6.9 and xorg-7 might both be
available and satisfy it.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't mostly confined to lsb
module names. So there would be few of them.

Clearly from the way I'm speculating this stuff is vapor.

> Anther issue is that AFAICS all the components published here:
>
> http://apt-devel.componentizedlinux.org/linux/cl/progeny.com/
>
> are made for sarge. Are you  maintaining there some in flux components
> following etch?

If you look a little closer you will see that they are a mix of sarge
and etch.

--
Darrin