Re: Introduction

Hi Darrin,

|--==> Darrin Thompson writes:

  DT> Hi all.
  DT> I was encouraged to introduce myself to this list and explain my cdd
  DT> project. I'm Darrin Thompson and I work for Progeny.

I've heard about componentized linux when it was first announced (last
year or so AFAIR),  but I did not follow  what happened then.  Now I'm
very glad that you achieved really remarkable results.

Having maintained a couple of CDDs  [0] for a  while I've gained a bit
of knowledge of the problems  of creating and (especially) maintaining
custom  distributions, and let me say  that the overall philosophy and
designed behind PDK  is quite appealing.  I would  say that you really
got to the point.

I've installed  pdk and did  a few experiments,  and almost everything
does make good sense to me, although I didn't investigate it deeply.

As  for now   my  main concern   is   about creating   an  maintaining
components. I carefully read:

http://componentizedlinux.org/index.php/What_is_a_component%3F

and  I think requiring the  dependency closure of each component makes
good sense to  me. However  if I  understand the  idea correctly, this
would be that if I want to create  a new component  I have to added to
the list of   its packages, not only  the  actual "top-level" packages
that I want   to  be  part  of  the  component,  but  even  all  their
(recursive)  dependencies, which can  be fulfilled either by listing a
dependency package  directly or making   my component depend on  other
component which, directly  or not, provides that particular dependency
package.

If this  is  correct,  it  would  be quite  laborious   to create  new
components.. I  admit  that when I  first  run pdk  resolve  on a test
component I thought  that I would  have gotten some automatic guessing
of the dependencies.

Note   also that sometimes   the  dependencies of package change  (for
example for a compiler transition, e.g.  libfoo1  -> libfoo1c), is the
maintainer  of a component  supposed  to manually change the component
accordingly?    If  so   we'd need   a   command  capable to  do  that
automatically and to report what has changed.

What is the proper way of proceeding here?

Anther issue is that AFAICS all the components published here:

http://apt-devel.componentizedlinux.org/linux/cl/progeny.com/

are made for sarge. Are you  maintaining there some in flux components
following etch?

I think there are  more things, but  it's all for now.  Anyhow, again,
very good work.

Cheers,

Free

[0] http://www.64studio.com http://demudi.agnula.org