Re: Tweaking configurations

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 11:08:42PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> On 21-05-2005 14:31, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> > On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 06:10:21PM +0200, C. Gatzemeier wrote:

> >>Isn't this like the current state with /etc files?
> >>OK, besides one file per key as it is the electra idea IIRC.
> >

> > Today you have to do that with .d directories an explicit include-s.
> >
> > You can't just install partial configuration for a different package.

> >>Maybe that is the case with the WBEM provider version, AFAIK the layered CFG
> >>is only a modular tool to edit configs on an enhanced abstracted level (node
> >>hirarchy with properties).
>
> That seems correct: The currently actively developed variant uses a
> so-called WBEM daemon as middle layer. The older alternative approach
> (seemingly stalled - no CVS commits since mid of 2004) used the Xerces
> XML engine.

In plain unix speak: reconfiguration requires access to a daemon. If
that daemon is not running or is badly configured, you'll have major
problems.

Reconfiguration happens not only when installing packages. For instance,
debian runs discover and hotplug fairly erarly on the boot process, even
before /usr is guaranteed to be mounted (because that may discover the
network adapter).

Woudn't it be nice to be able to write configuration is such early
stages?

What else do I need to do just to be able to configure my system? And
why impose that limitation on debconf? hanging packages installation is
something you really don't want. I see some circular dependencies coming
here.

--
Tzafrir Cohen     icq#16849755  +972-50-7952406
tzafrir.cohen@xorcom.com  http://www.xorcom.com