Re: Tweaking configurations

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 10:53:29PM -0700, Blaine Cook wrote:
> On May 19, 2005, at 6:39 PM, Micah Anderson wrote:
>
> >Now before everyone turns their noses to the sky and says "registry",
> >lets look at this with an open mind. A registry is typically known as
> >problematic on certain OS' due to centralization, security and
> >consistency problems. However, Elektra doesn't fall into this trap, it
> >is just a library to access files according to a namespace, if it is
> >unavailable, the entire system is not.
> >
> >There are other systems out there as well that we have not really
> >assessed their relative strengths and weaknesses. For example,
> >Config4GNU (http://freedesktop.org/Software/CFG) is one that has a
> >multi-layered configuration approach, which I do not know too much
> >about but looks also promising.
> >
> >What do others think?
>
> I've never used either CFG or Elektra, but looking at the overviews
> of both, my sense is that of the two, CFG is the more viable option,
> because it works with existing systems. Elektra requires a library
> change. I'd like to say that implementing kdb in software is as
> trivial as replacing a few fopen calls, but the reality is the
> investment (both time and labour) required to see the Elektra project
> to fruition is much higher than CDD projects can realistically
> muster. It seems like a really great idea, once there has been some
> wide adoption of it by developers, but in the meantime it seems
> fairly academic.
>
> What are the specific concerns with CFG? It seems pretty well suited
> to the task of configuring CDDs.

The nice thing about elektra is that it allows you to add configuration
to a package simply by adding files, which is very package-management
-friendly.

CFG appears to require a running daemon to apply the config changes,
right?

--
Tzafrir Cohen     icq#16849755  +972-50-7952406
tzafrir.cohen@xorcom.com  http://www.xorcom.com