Re: Tweaking configurations

On May 19, 2005, at 6:39 PM, Micah Anderson wrote:

Now before everyone turns their noses to the sky and says "registry",
lets look at this with an open mind. A registry is typically known as
problematic on certain OS' due to centralization, security and
consistency problems. However, Elektra doesn't fall into this trap, it
is just a library to access files according to a namespace, if it is
unavailable, the entire system is not.

There are other systems out there as well that we have not really
assessed their relative strengths and weaknesses. For example,
Config4GNU (http://freedesktop.org/Software/CFG) is one that has a
multi-layered configuration approach, which I do not know too much
about but looks also promising.

What do others think?

I've never used either CFG or Elektra, but looking at the overviews of both, my sense is that of the two, CFG is the more viable option, because it works with existing systems. Elektra requires a library change. I'd like to say that implementing kdb in software is as trivial as replacing a few fopen calls, but the reality is the investment (both time and labour) required to see the Elektra project to fruition is much higher than CDD projects can realistically muster. It seems like a really great idea, once there has been some wide adoption of it by developers, but in the meantime it seems fairly academic.

What are the specific concerns with CFG? It seems pretty well suited to the task of configuring CDDs.

b.