Re: Gnome menu customization best practices?

El 03/10/04, a les 09:35:42, Andreas Tille ens deleità amb les següents paraules:
[...]
> >There are two ways to customize the Gnome menus: 1. editing the files in
> >/etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/vfolders (and, in particular,
> >applications-all-users.vfolder-info and
> >preferences-all-users.vfolder-info, which specify the Applications and
> >Preferences menus, respectively); and 2. editing the .desktop
> >files supplied by the Debian packages to change the categories, which
> >determine where in the menus the menu items appear (and that's
> >assuming the custom distro is happy with the default menu structure).
> If I'm not wrong then these files are not under control of the Debian
> menu system but influence Gnome / KDE (freedesktop.org) menus directly.
> If you ask me we should rather try to provide an interface between
> Debian menu system and freedesktop.org menus.

[...]

Another way to modify gnome's menus could be to edit files on
/etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/vfolders/applications-all-users/ (the WriteDir of
applications-all-users file), although the last time i checked this feature
it wasn't working... and got no documentation about it, so maybe it was
working but i didn't understand how to do it (should be checked again, maybe)

I think that on the "special" menu entries on Gnome, we could maybe add the
file i told above, adding a "custom" group of menus (CDD menus), and having
their .desktop files with the perms -rw-r-----, having owner root (as usual)
and as the group, the cdd on which it is included, so only users on that
group (that is, on that cdd) will be able to see the menu...

It's maybe a weird and not much beutiful work-around, but as far as i know,
the gnome menus don't provide the mechanisms for specialized menus that we
want to use (that is, they're not able to add or delete new "root" menus
without providing or editing the global applications-all-users.vfolder-info,
so the editing on that file has to be lessen to the minimum)

About the "reordering" of existing menu entries, i don't see a clear
solution...

Read you,
	Lluis
 Tollbooth