Re: CDDs creators working with Debian

Hello,

El Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 04:00:04PM +0000, Michelle Ribeiro va escriure:
> Translations are a very important issue to custom distributions
> and in this case, you can ask to the local volunteers[7] to do the
> work. Will be better if you choose to use your free time to do the
> job yourself or if your organization choose to pay volunteers to
> do. Send your contribution to the package maintainer asking him to
> add this in the official version and see how people will help you
> to proofread the text.

Just a small note about the L10N issues, I would suggest to cooperate
with upstream before asking the package Developers (unless it's a
package only thing, as in debconf translations).  There are a lot of
problems related to package localization and applying patches in
packages is usually the bad aproach, unless it is done coordinating
everithing with upstream, of course.

I'm not working on L10N now (as always I plan to, but urgent things come
before than important ones ;) ), but our distribution has very specific
problems related to it and we are going to implement something to be
able to update translations independently from binary packages.

Our current solution will probably be not policy compliant, but once we
have our quick'n'dirty solution working (we need it really soon now) we
plan to propose some kind of standard technique to be able to do it
**inside** Debian and will probably need a new system to handle L10N
dependencies in the package system.

If someone is interested, there's a discussion going on about L10N
problems within Debian in the debian-devel mailing list:

Greetings,

  Sergio.

--
Sergio Talens-Oliag <sto@debian.org>   <http://people.debian.org/~sto/>
Key fingerprint = 29DF 544F  1BD9 548C  8F15 86EF  6770 052B  B8C1 FA69