Re: transition RedHat-Debian

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 19:44 +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 06:38:28PM -0300, mflima@qmc.ufsc.br wrote:
> > Thank you Mr. Bogen, your tip "just remember to install your preferred
> > NFS server package (either nfs-kernel-server if you have in-kernel
> > support, or nfs-user-server, as well as 'portmap')" solved my problems, but I
> > have some more questions:
> >
> > I need to inicialize some services on boot of the system, at Red Hat they are
> > called:
> > "rsh"
> > "rlogin"
> > "ssh"
> > "rexec"
> > At the moment I could find "ssh", "rsh", "rlogin", but the "rexec" I couldn't,
> > somebody could help me to find this service?
> >
> Don't use rsh / rlogin / rexec if you can avoid them. Implement ssh
> throughout. Googling for rexec to find out what it was, about the 15th
> message I found was from David Maze on the debian-user list in 2003
> advising more or less this.

We've been over this a few times on this list before; some argued a
performance hit with ssh, others seem to think the hit is relatively
small.  I personally use rsh on all of my group's clusters, noticed a
huge hit at startup with ssh but haven't characterized the long-term
impact.  But these clusters are all firewalled, and so have never had
any problem (that I know of).  This would of course be foolish on
net-exposed machines, unless you only allow rsh access to localhost.
But if that's the case, perhaps you should use the mpich shmem packages.
But those are only in unstable now, and dependent packages such as petsc
and scalapack are only built against the rsh mpich packages...  I
digress.

To enable the services you want on Debian, install the ssh package and
something which provides rsh-server, e.g. rsh-server. :-)  The
installation will automatically start the server (ssh) or add the
appropriate services to /etc/inetd.conf and restart inetd (rsh-server).
When you do that, /etc/hosts.equiv, /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny
will be in the same place in Debian as RedHat.

Cheers,

-Adam

http://www.take6.com/albums/greatesthits.html